Sunday, August 21, 2011

spread your wings

Well, I am officially scrapbooked out!! I finally finished up the last layout for all of the challenges over at Shimelle's blog!! This one is for the Bingo Cards & Butterflies challenge...another inspiration challenge. I found inspiration is the design, color, and choice of butterflies for accents. I don't typically use a lot of yellow on anything...layouts, cards, clothes I wear, etc. However, I am now in love with yellow, black, and grey!! When digging through my stash for the Hot Pink Hoopla challenge (back when I thought I would make a layout for that challenge that used hot pink) I stumbled upon some Teresa Collins Posh papers. I found one that I adored!! I wanted to make it work for the pink challenge, but I just couldn't get it to work with that airplane photo...and I was set on that photo for that challenge. Hence why I didn't actually use pink (you can see that layout here if you'd like). But, I digress into something way off topic!! Back to the paper. Loved this paper that I found...so I set it aside for this challenge!!


I kept my design similar to Shimelle's, but I used a 4x6 photo instead of a bingo card. I also used a much smaller butterfly (by Maya Road).


Since this is a layout from my nephew's baptism, I wanted to keep it somewhat masculine, even though I was using butterflies as my main embellishment. To do this, I first painted the butterfly black. Once that dried, I painted over it with yellow distress crackle paint. I used a thin coat to get the smaller cracks. Then I used my ink blending tool to rub black soot distress ink into the cracks and around the edges. I just lightly cleaned up the surface with a baby wipe. The black ink got into the cracks while the yellow was still on the surface. The title is pretty fitting given the event, and it works with those embellishements too. Ties it all together!!

Thanks for stopping by and have a fabulous Sunday!!
Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment